Sunday, August 18, 2013

A New Exercise Regimen: THE MIND+BODY WORKOUT

Most of my life, I've been the chubby one, the husky one, the Fat Albert. Sure, I've had a year or two of losing some major weight, but for whatever reason (mostly, lack of willpower), it hasn't stayed off. Being big takes its toll. I hate buying clothes--passionately. It actually makes me spiral into significant--though quick, thank God--spurts of depression.

But, in the last year, I've started to see my world differently. I now have a new reason to lose weight: my mind. Like I mentioned in my last blog post--Like MJ, I'm in the (Teacher) Zone--my brain is firing at a rapid speed right now. I'm thinking about my future differently. I see ways that I can teach my students with more power. I see ways that I can be more active in the educational field. I see myself writing stories for my children. There's a lot going on in my mind's eye.

But, my body must follow.

I realize that all of my educational visions cannot be fully realized with a tired body, with a body that peters out too soon.

So, if I start seeing that the physical and the intellectual work together, then I might just be able to buy in a bit more. I'm off to a good start--I've exercised six of the last seven days. Of course, it feels great--in all areas. My knees feel better when I exercise; my mood takes a turn up which must make my family happy; my head clears of garbage to make more room for the storm of positive educational ideas.

They work together--the mind and body.

So, I've come up with my workout regimen for the fall.

THE MIND+BODY WORKOUT is 30 minutes of exercise, 30 minutes of writing, and 30 minutes of reading five times/week.

But, I need you. In whatever way we connect--Facebook, email, Twitter or face-to-face--I'm asking that you hold me accountable. Ask me what I'm reading. Ask me how my writing projects are going. Ask me what new exercise I'm doing.

Basically, ask me if I'm healthy.



2 comments:

  1. Are you feeling healthier? It's psychosomatic - and i know it is true - evidence that exercise improves mental clarity. When we meet August 30th, I'll share with you another 2 parts known as PEPS and HALT given to me by a priest. A key attitude is that when you do not live up to your goal, do not dwell on it, but re-focus and redouble the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Chris! It's so nice to hear from you. I look forward to just under a week from today. It will be nice to reconnect. And, you're right. I need that charge forward. One day can't take me down. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete